Being more visible is one way of pushing back against the discrimination faced by Pagans and raising awareness about our religion. When your friends, family, co-workers, and people you encounter through the day see that you are a Pagan or an ally, it can help change minds, change stereotypes, and can change the world. Just as importantly, it’s also a way to show the hundreds of thousands of Pagans who actively hide their religion due to fear that there is a vast community of people who support them.
Here are some ideas for how you can show your support:
- Speak up. Advocating for greater acceptance and equity can be as simple as having a conversation with someone when the topic comes up. Respectfully correct false stereotypes and misconceptions about Pagans and our religious paths. Do this anytime an opportunity presents itself.
- Spread the word about Pagan Coming Out Day. Share the ‘in’ and ‘out’ personal stories with your friends on social media or through email.
- Wearing the IPCOD tree logo with the word PAGAN emerging from the branches or wearing green on May 2nd are two simple ways to show the world that you stand by these courageous people who have chosen to live their lives more openly and honestly. A Spring Green color symbolizes hope, growth, and new beginnings. IPCOD has priced all logo gear in our store at cost, there are no profits from sales of merchandise.
- On May 2nd – Twitter: “I support Pagans who chose to come out today #PCOD http://pagancomingoutday.org”
- On May 2nd Facebook: Change your profile icon to the IPCOD logo and post “I support Pagans who choose to come out today! http://pagancomingoutday.org” as your status.
- On May 2nd – G+: Change your profile icon to the IPCOD logo and post “I support Pagans who choose to come out today! http://pagancomingoutday.org” in your stream.
You don’t have to wait until May 2nd to do these things! Showing your support is appreciated and noticed anytime of the year. Share the updates from IPCOD on social media.